We welcome the appointment of Father Frank Schuster, current pastor of St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Federal Way, as the new auxiliary bishop for the Archdiocese of Seattle.
Congratulations, Bishop-Elect Schuster!
I am particularly grateful to Archbishop Pierre, Apostolic Nuncio to the United States who facilitated this request for a new auxiliary bishop in record pace. News of this appointment came late last Saturday, and I had a chance to spend some time with Fr. Frank last Tuesday evening.
It is truly a blessing to have Father Frank Schuster appointed to this auxiliary role. His love for Jesus and joy for the priesthood is expressed through his love of service and enthusiasm for the Gospel. As an auxiliary bishop, he will join Bishop Eusebio Elizondo, and together, as shepherds, they will extend the ministry of our Lord Jesus accompanying people in their faith life. After ordination, he will join in this season’s confirmations, attend deanery events, celebrate with the faithful, and be a partner for the Gospel throughout the archdiocese. As such, I intend to keep him with his parish community so that he may continue to be close to the people and exercise concretely his ministry as a pastor.
Father Frank Schuster was born in Mount Vernon, Washington, to John and Virginia Schuster. At age 6 he, along with his parents and two siblings, Carolyn and John, moved to Maple Valley, where they lived along the Cedar River. He enjoyed his family-focused, Catholic upbringing and admits to being a bit of a rascal as a child and while attending Kennedy Catholic High School, where his father was the principal for more than 20 years. At the University of Washington, Father Schuster earned his B.A. in psychology, but spent most of his time at the Newman Center in peer ministry. After college he moved to Illinois and attended Mundelein Seminary where he received his Bachelor of Sacred Theology and his Master of Divinity.
Bishop-elect Schuster’s love for Jesus and service has been felt at his pastoral assignments in the Archdiocese of Seattle:
• 1999–2000: Parochial vicar, Church of the Assumption and Sacred Heart Church, Bellingham
• 2000–2003: Chaplain, Catholic Campus Ministry, Western Washington University, Bellingham
• 2001–2003: Pastor, Sacred Heart Church, Bellingham
• 2003–2007: Pastor, Church of the Assumption, Bellingham
• 2004–2007: Dean, Presbyteral Council member
• 2006–2007: Pastor, Sacred Heart Church, Bellingham
• 2006–2007: Chaplain, Catholic Campus Ministry, Western Washington University, Bellingham
• 2007–2021: Pastor, St. Teresa of Calcutta Church, Woodinville
• 2016–present: Director, Permanent Deacon Formation
• 2021–present: Pastor, St. Vincent de Paul Church, Federal Way
A tentative date for Bishop-elect Frank Schuster’s episcopal ordination is Tuesday, May 3, 2022, at St. James Cathedral. This event will be livestreamed on the Archdiocese of Seattle Facebook page. More specific details will be available soon.